Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Find my mate, please


I was hoping for a bit of humor as I joined Chris from PearShapedCrafting, this month's host at Art Journal Journey with her theme of 101 Ways to Stay Warm.

The question is which is in need of a mate, the butterfly or the glove?





For this piece, I began by sewing many different security envelopes together, after which I dry brushed some green paint over the background assembly.   I found this beautiful butterfly postage stamp in my stash, as well as this glove from a magazine.  I fussy cut the glove, then added it to my sewn background.  Since the background was larger than the altered book page, I hand wrote the message on pieces I cut away from the original sewn background.  To show how cold it was, I added three snowflakes to the page.


This is Day 15, which means we are half way through our month at AEDM.  I'm also linking to Art Journal Journey.  Hope to see you at both places.  I may not say it often enough, but I am most grateful that you have visited today.

17 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun page Elizabeth! Great idea, too. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

I am thrilled about the fantastic background with the sewn envelopes! Wow - and the collage is really thought provoking.
Beautiful colours for wintery coldness and it really looks pretty how gentle the chunky glove holds the butterfly! I love this page Elizabeth!
Great idea for the theme!
Happy day my friend!
oxo
Susi

My name is Erika. said...

I like the idea of stitching envelopes together to make your background. It looks so cool. And that is a beefy glove holding the delicate little butterfly in it. Nice juxtaposition of tough and delicate. Good humor too. :) Have a great WEdnesday! Hugs-Erika

Marfi-topia said...

this is great!
I really like how the envelopes look. It creates such a interesting texture.
The glove and the butterfly..kind of sounds like a fairy tale:)

RO said...

I really like the idea of sewing envelopes together and how artsy you made it look. I'm always a fan of butterflies and adore that boxing glove. It looks three dimensional and fun! Hugs...RO

CJ Kennedy said...

this was a fun way to start the day. I thought the glove was asking the butterfly to find its mate. :-D Wonderful how you built the layers. The background really makes the glove and butterfly stamp stand out.

TammyVitale said...

love the bacground idea: sewing paper together and painting. Total inspiration! Now all I need it some time - next week should slow down a bit...I hope! Thanks for the great idea!

Sami said...

Interesting idea to stitch the envelopes together for the background.
Can't remember the last time I used gloved, but it could have been around 1989, when we lived in Germany.

garrisonjames said...

Great background, excellent series really. Really like the butterfly stamp...I keep running into butterflies the last couple of days...

pearshapedcrafting said...

Well I hope it's not the other glove thats missing! This glove looks as though it's meant for seriously cold weather so the other hand might well freeze! This is such fun Elizabeth and I love the sewn layers! I haven't been around much since yesterday- babysitting and a funeral took me away from the computer! Hugs, Chrisx

Let's Art Journal said...

Wonderful page! I love how you created the background by sewing together the pieces of envelope and the imagery is such fun with the glove and the beautiful butterfly postage stamp 😁. Hope you are having a lovely week, enjoy! J 😊

da tabbies o trout towne said...

bleu N squiggles....can ya keep a sekrit frum Elizabeth.... sox go in de dryer round heer that sayz de same thing when they come bak out !! ☺☺☺♥♥

Meggymay said...

It is a fantastic page, I love how you stitched all the pieces together.
I'm with the butterfly finding a mate, I never have any luck finding a lost glove.
Yvonne xx

Lowcarb team member said...

... sometimes I do misplace a glove!
I like your art piece.

All the best Jan

Rita said...

So funny! I was expecting a sock--LOL! ;)

Jeanie said...

You are so bold and brave. Always experimenting, sewing things together, adding texture. I really admire that!

NatureFootstep said...

cool idea and a lot of work :) Security envelopes? Don´t get much of these anymore.